Thursday, February 7, 2013

Types of Research

The path the questions take in a research project can be determined by the type of research being done. Descriptive research asks questions the answer the thought "How are things now?", whereas historical research queries about how things were done in the past. Experimental research is helpful when investigating the cause and effect of a topic. For gourd books, the direction of the research will be determined by the type of research.

Do I need to know which type of research I will be doing before I start? I don't think so. My interest in gourd books is still too broad to know where I want to go with it. If I with exploring the gourd books that exist now, I'll be doing Descriptive research which means I'll probably ask questions like

How are gourd artists making books with gourds?
How are gourd books being promoted?
How can a gourd books get to book lovers for purchase?

If I go with questions about the past, I'll be doing Historical research:

How did colonists use gourds for communication?
In what ways did African natives use gourds other than for food preparation?
When the American Gourd Society began, what were the gourd artisans going with gourds?

Experimental research involves cause and effect:
If gourds are used to make books, how does that impact gourd farmers?
If gourd books can be used as a hands-on reading activity for students who not like to read, would the student enjoy reading more often?
How would the use of gourd books change the way a library is organized?

What comes first the questions or the type of research?  When I chose a topic, I initially had questions. The pattern of questions I ask will eventually lead me to a type of research. One hand feeds the other in this case. My essential question will set the tone.


pajamaproductivity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment