Friday, March 1, 2013

Libraries!

golibrarians.wordpress.com
Libraries can be a collection of books (like my collection of church cookbooks) and they can be structures that house books. I live in a house, but the libraries of books I own does not make my house a library. The Alson J. Smith, Jr. Library at Shenandoah University is a building that houses books but is no a home. Two meanings for one word.  Other libraries in the area the Mary Jane and James L. Bowman Library, the Handley Regional Library, and the Paul Wolk Library at Lord Fairfax Community College in Middletown.

A visit to a library (structure) would be valuable since only a small portion of the world's knowledge is available on the internet. Since my personal library (book collection) does not include books about slave life, or ukeleles, I can talk with the reference librarian about locating further information about my topic of making a gourd ukelele or decorating it. Since I already have some investigation done, I will have specific questions the reference librarian can help with.

www.flickr.com
In my quest for local library sources I came across a library of slave documents at the Newtown History Center, Stephens City, VA. There are cookbooks, diaries, pricelists, and reference books. A library of books about my project!  That is NOT in a library!

No comments:

Post a Comment