I like the design I am working up in my mind for the body of the ukelele. I'll be using vines (as in gourd vines) that turn and curl around to make a measure of music that floats across the gourd. The opening bars will be the beginning of the song with the notes being stars. 'Follow the Drinking Gourd' words will be written in script under the music, a Big Dipper star constellation above the music, and a border of images of running slaves encircling the gourd's edge where it meets the front.
The wooden tomato stake I'm using for the neck will have the lyrics to the songs scribed onto the back.
Initially I thought I might wood-burned the lines and fill with ink, but this particular gourd has a hardened slick surface and I don't know if color will absorb. With this kind of surface (that not all gourds have), applied color tends to sit on top of and not absorb into the gourd.
It might be wood-burning only for that may be what will be permanent.
No comments:
Post a Comment